Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Brett John Wilson






Our baby boy is finally here. Brett was born on Friday, March 13th at 8:31pm. He weighed 6 pounds 15 ounces and was 20 inches long, just a peanut! No where near the 8 pound baby they had predicted, although that was if I went all the way to my due date which I didn't.

I had a doctor appointment on Thursday the 11th, the doctor had been concerned about my preeclampic symptoms and agreed that an induction would be appropriate. It just so happened that the hospital had room the very next morning! We were NOT expecting that! That evening was very weird. It was weird rushing around the house getting everything ready for the hospital knowing that we were going there to have a baby and that we would be coming home with one!

We got there at 6am. They started pitocin around 8 and the rest is kind of a blur to me. I started to have pretty hard contractions within about 30 minutes. Long story short, I was in labor for 36 hours and finally when I was fully dilated and pushing, the baby's heart rate dropped and his head would just not drop down low enough. I just wanted him out and safe! I had wanted a c-section for the past 12 hours but Rob was really encouraging me to do it vaginally. Finally, we all decided a c-section would be the best way to go.

At 8:31pm, Brett came into the world. He was crying before they even got him out all the way! His apgar score was a 9 or 10 I heard the nurse say. I couldn't make out much since I was pretty out of it but I did hear that and I was so relieved. Rob went off with the baby and the doctors finished my surgery. I was kind of out of it for the rest of the night.

The next two days were filled with visitors in and out. Then our pediatrician discovered that Brett was jaundice and needed some light therapy to get the billirubin out of his system. So for two long days and nights, Brett was in the Infant Care Nursery. Rob and I were just wanting to bond with our baby and with all the visitors then him being sent to the ICN, we hadn't done that. We got to come home on Tuesday, March 17th, Brett's original due date ironically. It was wonderful, the happiest day in both of our lives. We finally got to bring our baby home and he was all ours to hold and snuggle, it was amazing!

Now that I have something important to blog about, hopefully I'll post more! Here are some pictures from the hospital.

3 comments:

The McGovern Family said...

Congrats Casey! I was in CA when you were in the hospital...but Heidi kept me informed, step by step, by text message the entire time...she ven sent me a picture of him on my phone! He is adorable! you guys will be great parents! Enjoy every minute!

Heidi said...

Ahhh...he's so darn cute! I can't wait to come out and see him in person:) Maybe Friday nigth??

Becky said...

I just love him! Thanks for letting me hold him tonight, I loved every second. It makes me want to have another one...in a couple years :)